Group Admins

General Questions & Discussion

Public Group active 1 year, 8 months ago

INSTRUCTIONS:

Click on ”FORUM” to post or read what others are discussing.

If you have a question or want to begin a new discussion, click on “NEW TOPIC” after clicking on “FORUM”.

You must be LOGGED IN to post.

Potty Training

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  usertester 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

minata

(Awaiting moderation)

usertester

I have two questions:

1) How do you balance potty training in school v. getting pulled out of the classroom? While I know it’s important to potty train, I also want to make sure my child’s team balances that against the loss of therapy time or academic time, especially if potty training takes a long time. Advice?

2) I heard about someone getting diapers reimbursed by insurance. Anyone know anything about this?

Thank you!

admin
    Key Master

Tammy1234 – thank you for your reply. I’m glad to hear school was so supportive. Does anyone else have stories to share about how school helped with potty training?

janet

If possible, break it down into small steps, such as assisting with pulling down pants or pulling up pants. Some kids need picture symbols for each and every step, so that they know the steps.

tammy1234

My son was 6 years old when we started potty training. He was in a self-contained special class. It took a long while maybe almost 6 months, as he had many behavior temper tantrums. He is also very sensory delayed. It didn’t bother him to be in diapers. He had a great teacher who initiated this in her classroom. Of course there is a bathroom in her classroom. My son worked for applesauce and stickers. He also liked to please his teacher. I just followed her reward system at home. Maybe you can have this skill written into your child’s IEP as potty training is a part of daily living skills like dressing.

admin
    Key Master

Any advice on potty training a child with Special Needs? We’ve tried all the ‘typical strategies’ that worked for my other kids. Are there any books or resources available?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Connect with Us

Link to our Facebook Page
Link to our Twitter Page